Yesterday Rhode Island became the tenth state to legalize marriage equality. Yay, Rhode Island!
Lots of people were surprised when they noticed that every single Republican in the RI state senate — all 5 of ‘em — voted in favor of the bill. This is shocking because it means
gay rights are gaining within the GOP there are still Republicans in Rhode Island.
Photo by David McNew/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Congratulations, New Zealand, being “like Scotland, but far away” is no longer your number-one claim to fame.
After a 77 to 44 vote in parliament, New Zealand became the first country in the Asia-Pacific region and the 13th in the world to legalize same-sex marriage.
Among the parliamentarians voting in favor of a equality was Prime Minister John Key, who happens to be a conservative, but also just wants Frodo and Samwise to be happy.
Photo of Kiwis celebrating after the vote, by Phil Walters/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Here are the notable politicians who have come out in favor of marriage equality since Sen. Rob Portman did three weeks ago.
* A compromise for Justice Scalia.
* Unless you’re playing cards, war isn’t a game.
* Put this in your baby scrapbook, space nerds!
* Think your privacy is violated now? Just you wait.
* Invest in this U.S. export and you’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.
* Sure, you see them on the internet all the time, but what is the science behind them?
Fred Luter, president of the Southern Baptist Convention, explaining that gay people are responsible for Kim Jong-un’s anti-American rants.
Destroying civilization, launching hurricanes, creating East Asian dictators: Looks like gays are capable of EVERYTHING except keeping people from saying dumb, bigoted things about them.
* King Kim Jong-Un is a total Lannister.
* Axe Cop save the Queen.
* This Jesus is the most Jesusy of all Jesuses that ever Jesused.
* SIREN: Drudge Report got hacked on April Fools’ Day!
* The unwholesome effects of heterosexual marriage on children.
* And the effects of 1950s values on children don’t seem any better.
* This is like if Sofia Coppola decided to start making propaganda movies.
Steve Deace, an influential conservative Iowa talk radio host, on what will happen if the Supreme Court rules in favor of same-sex marriage.
DEFCON 5 happens to be the military lowest alert setting — DEFCON 1 is the highest. So DEFCON 6 should be a land of peace, gay rainbows and a GOP that’s okay with two dudes getting hitched.
* A very special peek into the pope reunion.
* Next stop for Dennis Rodman, Sklarbro Country.
* How to be a scientist. First: Learn how to rap about science.
* The International Space Station does a photoshoot with Earth.
* Yes, but how will the Galactic Federation vote on marriage equality?
* Economic factors will take some spring out of Easter this year.
Patton Oswalt took on same-sex marriage long before the Supreme Court ever did.
Click through for same-sex marriage hilarity from Garfunkel & Oates, Eugene Mirman and more.